Biomedical Engineering Shared Laboratories
- The 3D-Bioplotter System can fabricate scaffolds using a wide range of materials, including soft hydrogels over polymer melts and hard ceramics. The system is designed to support the development of tissues and devices vital to the success of regenerative therapies, controlled drug release and patient-specific implants.
- 3D Printer – Hyrel: 3D printers allow for “sculpting” objects by a concurrent combination of material deposition (through laser sintering), removal (machining) and shaping (forming). It is capable of working with multiple metals simultaneously, being able to mix and match four simultaneous metallic powders to create complex shapes and combinations of materials that can be precisely tailored.
- 3D Printer – XYZ Da Vinci: This printer works with PLA, ABS, Flexible and Tough PLA materials with a filament diameter of 1.75 mm. The build area is 200 x 200 x 190 mm, layer resolution of 100-400 microns, XY positioning precision of 12.5 microns and supports .stl, .3mf, .3w, .nkg files.
- Autoclave: An autoclave is a pressure chamber used to sterilize equipment and supplies by subjecting it to highly pressurized saturated steam.
- Biological safety cabinets: HEPA-filtered laminar air cabinet that protects the user, product and the environment.
- Centrifuges: Tabletop centrifuges are capable of reaching speeds of 14,000 rpm (5810R) and 15,000 rpm (5424) with a maximum liquid density of 1.2 kg/dm3.
- CO2 laser: Tabletop centrifuges are capable of reaching speeds of 14,000 rpm (5810R) and 15,000 rpm (5424) with a maximum liquid density of 1.2 kg/dm3.
- Confocal Microscope — Molecular Devices IXM: The IXM provides improved quantification for live or fixed cell assays. This imaging system features a unique confocal technology to explore more physiologically relevant, complex three-dimensional models including spheroids, tissues and whole organisms and to generate publication quality images at high throughput for samples in slides or one to 1536‑well microplates.
- Confocal Microscope — Nikon EZC1: Upright confocal microscope that can do brightfield and fluorescent microscopy as well as confocal reflectance imaging. The system includes 20x, 60x, 100x water dipping objectives, a 5 mW Green (543.5 nm) laser, a 150 mW Blue (457-514 nm) laser and green/red filter cube sets.
- Cytation 5 Imaging Reader: The Cytation 5 Imaging Reader combines automated digital widefield microscopy with conventional multi-mode microplate reading in a unique, patented design.
- Deionized (DI) Water: This system offers fast dispensing of DI water with adjustable flow rate and real-time quality monitoring.
- Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC): Diﬀerential scanning calorimetry uses heat transfer to measure properties of a sample such as thermal stability and heat capacity.
- Dynamic Mechanical Analysis (DMA): Dynamic Mechanical Analysis measures mechanical properties of materials as functions of time, temperature and frequency (dual/single cantilever and compression).
- Ellipsometer: An ellipsometer is used for routine measurements of ﬁlm thickness and refractive index by measuring changes in polarization as light reﬂects or transmits.
- Ethylene Oxide Sterilizer: FDA approved, room temperature sterilizer that utilizes ethylene oxide gas as the sterilant. A standard cycle is 12 hours with a two hour bag ventilation cycle. A 24 hour additional aeration option is available for gas absorbent items. Users must provide sterile wrap or pouches for their items. All other consumables are provided.
- Excimer Laser: An excimer laser is a form of ultraviolet laser of the noble gas halide type used for micromachining.
- Fluorescence Microscope — Nikon: This manual inverted microscope is intended for use in microscopic observation and in the micromanipulation of living cells and tissue using diascopic (transmitted) and episcopic (reflected) illumination. Objectives: 4x, 10x, 20x and 40x.
- Fluorescence Microscope — Zeiss: This manual inverted microscope is intended for imaging cell culture in petri dishes, chamber slides or multiwell plates, as well as fixed slides. Contrast techniques include Brightfield, Phase Contrast, DIC (20x only), Fluorescence with LED light source. Objectives: 5x, 10x, 20x and 40x, compatible with coverslips/plastic vessels. Fluorescence Filter Sets: 43, 38, and 49. Axiocam 503 mono camera.
- Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR): Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy is used to measure absorption and transmission peaks of the components in a sample.
- Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR) with Attenuated Total Reflection (ATR): An attenuated total reflection accessory on Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy is used for measurement of solids and liquids.
- Gel Doc EZ Imager: A gel doc is an automated gel imaging instrument for DNA gels and fluorescence imaging on a couple of different filter options.
- Glassware Washer: Freestanding glassware washer dryer with a wide chamber and 3 levels.
- Goniometer: A goniometer uses contact angle measurements in order to know surface properties of materials when interacting with water.
- Instron: The instron allows for mechanical testing of samples using 1000N load cell to test compression and tension.
- Lyophilizer: A lyophilizer is a benchtop freeze dryer used to freeze the material and reduce the surrounding pressure so that the frozen water will sublimate from solid phase to gas phase. This is most often used in samples that will be imaged under SEM and need to preserve their structure.
- Microtome: A microtome is a tool used to cut extremely thin slices of material.
- NanoDrop OneC: Microvolume UV-VIS spectrophotometer that can quantify and qualify DNA, RNA and protein samples in seconds with only 1-2 µL, and obtain full-spectral data. This equipment also has a cuvette option.
- Nanoparticle Tracking Analysis (NTA): Nanoparticle Tracking Analysis visualizes and analyzes particles in liquids using the relationship between Brownian motion to particle size by scattering laser light and recording video for analysis. This can be used to see extremely small particles (down to 10 nm).
- Plasma Cleaner: A plasma cleaner removes organic contaminants, renders surfaces hydrophilic, promotes adhesion, etc. using O2 chemical reactions in a chamber.
- Plate Reader: Plate readers are used for common detection of absorbance, ﬂuorescence intensity, luminescence, time-‐resolved ﬂuorescence and ﬂuorescence polarization of samples in well plates.
- QCM: The quartz crystal microbalance measures the frequency and mass of a sample. The crystal has a certain frequency and as proteins stick to the crystal they will change this value which will correlate to the mass.
- Rheometer: Rheometers are used to ﬁnd stress, strain, modulus or viscosity data using a cone and plate with set parameters such as shear, temperature, oscillation, etc.
- Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM): In a Scanning Electron Microscope, the surface of a specimen is scanned by a beam of electrons that are reﬂected by a secondary or backscattered detector to form an image.
- Slide Scanner: Slide scanners digitalize slide images to scan, view and share on a cloud server.
- Spectrophotometer: A spectrophotometer utilizes a high‐intensity xenon lamp and dual‐beam optical geometry. The instrument fires pulses of light only when taking a measurement and provides strong illumination from the UV to the near‐IR region of the spectrum.
- Sonicator: A sonicator is a programmable system ideal for small volume liquid processing through sound energy. This unit is capable of processing 0.5-15ml volumes of a substance. Applications include cell disruption, protein extraction, and DNA shearing/ChIP assay for durations of 1 second to 10 hours.
- Sputter Coater: A sputter coater is used to coat non‐conducting samples with a conductive gold layer for standard SEM imaging.
- Thermocycler: Standalone Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) machine that has a 0.2mL tube block for up to 25 samples.
- Thermogravimetric Analysis (TGA): Thermogravimetric Analysis measures weight changes of a sample as a function of time or temperature under a controlled atmosphere (under nitrogen). It is usually for measuring thermal stability or composition.
- Ultracentrifuge: This centrifuge delivers fast, eﬃcient separations from samples as small as 175 µl up to 32.4mL at speeds up to 150,000 RPM and more than 1,000,000 x g.
- UV Cure Box: A compact microprocessor controlled UV flood curing system.
- UV Transilluminator Plate: The UV Transilluminator Plate provides brilliant back illumination of transparent materials placed on a filter area designed to illuminate and increase fluorescence.
- Vacuum ovens: Vacuum ovens are primarily used for desiccating, vacuum embedding, plating and electronic component processing.
- Vibratome: The vibratome performs high‐quality sectioning with a range of 1 to 40 mm.
- Western Blot Scanner: The Western Blot Scanner delivers industry‐standard digital imaging technology to capture publication quality images.
- Zetasizer: A zetasizer is used to measure size (through dynamic light scattering) and zeta potential of nanoparticles in solution.
Model G8146Z Blade speeds: 105-2100 fpm Blade size: 1/8 – 3/4″ Cutting height: 10 1/4″ | Cutting capacity left of blade: 15 3/4″ | Table size: 23 5/8″ long x 21 11/16″ wide x 38″ high x 2″ deep | Table tilt (left / right): 15 degrees / 45 degrees
- Bench Grinder
Model G0596 | 8″ wheels
- CNC Mill
Model Super Mini Mill | Vertical machining center: 16″ x 12″ x 10″ | Tool holder: 40 taper | 7.5 hp vector drive | Max spindle speed: 10000 rpm | Tool changer: automatic 10 station carousel | Max table weight: 500 lb
- Combination Sander
Model G1183 | 12″ sanding disc | speed: 5000 fpm | belt arm tilt: 0-90degrees | 6″ x 48″ sanding belt | speed: 3450 rpm | table tilt: +/- 40degrees
- Drill Press
Model G7948 | 12 speeds: 210, 310, 400, 440, 630, 670, 1260, 1430, 1650, 2050, 2350, 3300 rpm | Chuck: 1/64 – 5/8″, JT3 key | Swing: 20″ | Drilling capacity: 1 1/4″ steel | Spindle travel: 4 3/4″ | Table: size: 18 3/4″ long x 16 3/4″ wide x 1 1/2″ thick | swivel around center: 270 degrees | swivel around column: 360 degrees | maximum movement: 22″ | tilt
- Horizontal Bandsaw
Model G0717 | Blade speeds: 83, 132, 170, 235 fpm | Cutting capacities: Angle cuts: 45-90 degrees | Vise jaw: 13 1/4 & 8″ depth x 4 15/16″ height | Rectangular @ 90degrees: 8 7/8″ width x 15 3/4″ height | Round @ 90degrees: 8 7/8″ | Rectangular @ 30degrees: 9 13/16″ width x 8 7/16″ height | Round @ 30degrees: 8 7/16″ | Rectangular @ 45degrees: 6
- Hydraulic Press
Model 908 025-2 | Capacity: 25 tons | Horsepower: 2 | RPM: 1800 | Ram speed: pressing – 15, returning: 35 | Width between uprights: 32.75″ | Width between table channels: 7.25″ | Ram to table (min-max): 11.75″-46.75″ | Ram travel: 10″
Series 1. Range: – Table travel (x-axis): 36″ / 914mm – Saddle travel (y-axis): 12″ / 305mm – Quill travel (measured z-axis): 5″ / 127mm – Knee travel (un-measured z-axis): 16″ / 406mm – Ram travel: 12″ / 305mm – Throat distance (min-max): 6.75-18.75″ / 171- 476mm – Table to spindle nose gage line (min-max): 2.5- 18.25″ / 65-463mm Table size: – Overall size: