Research Titles and Staffing

The Division of Research administers research position titles and compensation procedures.
Please be advised that responsibility for research personnel actions will be moving to Human Resources and Organizational Effectiveness effective 2/1/23. If you have questions please contact Classification and Compensation at Faculty- equivalent research positions may be posted by the Office of the VPR using the current process until 3/1/23.

Instructions for Hiring Research Staff and Requesting Other Personnel Actions

Processes related to research personnel that will be initiated, routed and completed in Workday include: create position, hire, change job, add additional job, request one-time payment, and request compensation change. Most of these requests require approval from department heads and deans before the vice president for research approves them. Please work with your unit’s human resources representatives to obtain and send documentation of department- and college-level approvals via email to Select the Sample Memorandums link below to find resources you may use for obtaining approvals.

Departments are able to post faculty-equivalent research positions through the Workday site or by directly working with the Division of Research to post a position on the Texas Workforce Commission’s website.

Please note: Requests can be submitted by your dean’s office via email to or through campus mail at MS 2403.

For more information about any of these instructions or forms, contact Tom Owen in Research Enterprise Business Services, or submit a question by email to