Texas A&M University's Computing and Information Services supports creation of listserv emailing lists. A listserv list provides an easy way to send email communications to a defined interest group, such as an interdisciplinary research community. Listserv mailing lists are well suited for a substantial group of people with similar interests. For communicating with a private group or a small group of individuals, personal address books and aliases may be better suited than a listserv list.
Each listserv requires a list owner, who is required to manage and moderate the account, and who may need to address social issues periodically. Information on how to establish a Texas A&M listserv and tools for creating and managing one can be found at the Listserv Management System website.
Tools for list owners and list subscribers include:
Information on using and managing a listserv includes:
- Listserv Help - links to the Help Desk Central Listserv How To Information (see below).
- Listserv Manuals and Technical Documentation - provides access to L-Soft International Inc.’s listserv documentation.
- Listserv Owner Duties - provides an overview of listserv owner’s responsibilities and required decisions when creating a list. Read this and the various FAQs before requesting creation of a listserv emailing list.
- Mailing List Usage - describes the suitability of listserv vis-à-vis the target group.
- Delete Your List - describes the process to request deletion of a listserv.
Listserv mailing list attributes to consider before requesting creation of a list include:
- Subscription: Do you want open subscription or subscription by request?
- Moderation: Do you want to approve posts, or can people post freely?
- Archives: Do you want posted messages archived for future reference? Who do you want to be able to see the archives?
Help Desk Central also provides listserv how to information:
- Upcoming Events
- Onsite Group Workshop for the 2017 NIH Grant Proposal-Writing Program Jan 25, 2017 08:00 AM - 12:00 PM — Rudder Tower, Room 301
- Writing Successful Proposals Mar 02, 2017 01:00 PM - 04:00 PM — 103 Henderson Hall
- NSF CAREER Proposal Writer’s Group Inaugural Meeting Mar 22, 2017 01:00 PM - 03:30 PM — 103 Henderson Hall
- Demystifying the NSF! Mar 28, 2017 01:00 PM - 03:30 PM — 103 Henderson Hall
- NSF Broader Impacts Workshop Apr 12, 2017 02:00 PM - 03:30 PM — 103 Henderson Hall