Research Specialist III

Minimum Qualifications

Bachelor’s degree plus eight years of experience in a field relevant to the duties and responsibilities of the assignment. (Master’s degree is equivalent to two years of experience)


Commensurate with qualifications. The Division of Research suggests a starting salary within lower or middle bands. Requests for salaries outside of the lower or middle bands should include justification for the amount.

Pay Grade: 12

Lower Band: $50,162.00- $64,480.00

Middle Band: $64,480.01 – $78,811.20

Upper Band: $78,811.21 – $93,158.00

Effective January 1, 2020, in accordance with FLSA guidelines, an employee whose salary is below $35,568 per year ($2,964 per month or $684 per week) is considered non-exempt. The employee will be paid biweekly and will receive overtime compensation for hours physically worked in excess of 40 hours per week.

Required Approvals

Principal Investigator, Department, College, Vice President for Research

ORP/TRS Eligibility


Duties and Responsibilities

The Research Specialist III, under general direction performs research work involving performance of assignments which may involve planning and directing certain phases of research project. Duties may include, but are not limited to:

  • Provides research expertise.
  • Compiles, analyzes, interprets, and reviews data and metadata. Collects samples, performs analysis on samples, and extracts measurement data from experiments. Implements and maintains data collection and summarization of field trials.
  • Performs analysis and tests. Makes and records observations and scientific measurement.
  • Develops and maintains training materials for external users. Trains students or others in laboratory and field research and methods. Audits protocols.
  • May attend local, national, and international meetings.
  • Performs other duties as assigned.

This position does not generally supervise employees. Specific duties should be listed on the position description portion of the Workday Business Process.

For questions, please contact Tom Owen in Research Enterprise Business Services.