What do I need to report?

  • Skin-piercing injuries with an object contaminated with a biohazardous or recombinantly modified agent.
  • Skin-piercing injuries from an animal.
  • Splashes or sprays of biohazardous agents into eyes, nose, mouth, or onto non-intact skin.
  • Spills of biohazardous agents outside of a biosafety cabinet or other primary containment equipment.
  • Failure to wear a respirator where one is required.
  • Any other incident that may result in exposure to biohazardous agents.

What Do I Do?

  • Injuries involving biohazardous or recombinantly modified agents:
    • If it’s an emergency, call 911.
    • If an injury is not life threatening:
      • Contact during business hours for instructions.
      • Evenings, weekends, and holidays, go to any urgent care facility. There is not one specific location you must use.
  • Spills or other exposures to biohazardous or recombinantly modified agents:
  • Notify your supervisor immediately of all injuries, spills, or other incidents. 
  • Incidents not involving biohazardous or recombinantly modified agents should be reported to Environmental Health and Safety.

Why do I need to report incidents involving biohazards to biosafety?

  • To receive occupational health services:
    • You may be referred to the university’s contracted occupational health provider for evaluation and treatment.
  • Texas A&M may have additional reporting requirements: