Human Subject Protection Training in CITI
Initial Training Course
Human Subject Protection Training should be completed through Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI), a web-based ethics training program for those conducting or reviewing research with human subjects.
CITI training must complete with a minimum score of 90 percent. Each course module may be re-taken as many times as necessary to obtain a 90 percent average overall.
Creating a new account in CITI
The new Texas A&M SSO CITI login url is: https://www.citiprogram.org/portal?site=660
New CITI accounts for TAMU personnel:
- Login TAMU NetID (via Azure AD) -> Create new CITI account (which is really only one click)
Existing CITI accounts for TAMU users:
- Login TAMU NetID (via Azure AD) -> Nothing (account has already been linked)
- or Login TAMU NetID (via Azure AD) -> Select existing CITI account to link to NetID
New CITI accounts for users without Texas A&M University credentials:
Go to www.citiprogram.org and select “Register” under Create an account.
Step 1: Search for/select organization “Texas A&M University” and select “Continue to step 2” to continue CITI registration (Do not sign up as an Independent Learner).
Step 2: Enter the following information
- First Name
- Last Name
- Email address- To ensure your CITI certificate information feeds into iRIS, please enter the same email address you have provided in your “account information” in iRIS. CITI allows two email addresses to be given in case a researcher wants an additional email used.
Step 3: Create your Username and Password: Fill the following fields:
- User Name
- Security Question and Answer
Step 4: Answer residency question.
Step 5: Determine if Continuing Education Credits are applicable to you
Step 6: Provide additional information requested by Texas A&M
Step 7: Select courses appropriate to the type of research you conduct.
Question 1, select either:
- Group 1: Biomedical Research Investigators and Key Personnel
- Group 2: Social and Behavioral Research Investigators and Key Personnel
Skip or Select “Not at this time” for Questions 2, 3 AND 4.
“Responsible Conduct of Research” training does NOT fulfill the human subjects training requirement of the Human Research Protection Program.
Skip Select “Not at this time” for Questions 4, 6, 7 and 8.
Question 9, select a Good Clinical Practice if you are conducting clinical research and FDA regulated research.
Existing accounts in CITI
- You may add courses by selecting “Add a Course or Update Learner Groups” from your CITI home page.
CITI Online Refresher Course
Human subjects’ training must be renewed every five years, i.e., before the five-year anniversary of the investigator’s most recent human subjects in research training. The online refresher course provided by CITI takes approximately one hour to complete. CITI provides a 30, 60, and 90 day reminder on expiration dates.
Follow the directions in the email to login and complete the required refresher trainings. If logging in to CITI directly, a link to the refresher training will be on your CITI home page.