Research Titles and Staffing

The Division of Research administers research position titling and compensation procedures.  This includes all requests for new research staff positions, new hires and transfers, reclassifications and promotions, salary increases and one-time merit payments.


Research Personnel Action (RPA) Form
This form is used to help departments administer research staffing and compensation. The form includes useful tools such as a checklist, applicable rules, and a research position matrix. A completed RPA is required for most requests that require an EPA document. Percent effort changes do not require the Vice President for Research (VPR) approval; however, the most recent RPA must be sent with the EPA to Payroll. Requests for a one-time merit payment or an alternate work location do not require an RPA, but must route for VPR approval before being processed.

Research Titles

Other Important Forms

Please note: Requests can be submitted by your dean’s office via email to or through campus mail at MS 2403.

For more information about any of these instructions or forms, contact Martha Tackett or Kim Williamson in Research Enterprise Business Services, or submit a question by email to