Career Awards for Medical Scientists
Burroughs Wellcome Fund
Limited Submission Program (LSP): This funding opportunity and the Limited Submission Program (LSP) is open to all Texas A&M faculty and Principal Investigators who meet the eligibility requirements. The University and The Texas A&M University System Agencies jointly administer this process to select the proposal(s) that will be submitted to the sponsor in response to this solicitation.
Institutional Eligibility: U.S. or Canadian institutions--including affiliated medical schools, graduate schools, and all related hospitals and research institutes--may nominate up to five candidates.
PI Eligibility: The ideal candidate will be two years away from becoming an independent investigator, have at least two years or more of postdoctoral research experience, and have a significant publication record.
- Candidates must hold an M.D., D.D.S., or D.V.M. degree.
- Proposals must be in the area of basic biomedical, disease-oriented, or translational research. Proposals in health services research or involving large-scale clinical trials are ineligible.
- BWF encourages nominations from candidates who work in reproductive science.
- Candidates must be a fellow, resident, or a postdoctoral researcher and have at least two years of postdoctoral research experience at the time of application.
- Candidates must not be more than 10 years past their most recent earned doctorate degree. No exceptions will be made.
- Candidates with a clinical degree not awarded in the U.S. or Canada must be fully licensed to practice in the U.S. or Canada or have completed a residency in the U.S. or Canada.
- Candidates who hold a junior faculty appointment (Lecturer, Instructor, Assistant Professor-non tenure track, etc.) may be eligible if they have been in a faculty position for two years or less at the time of application. To meet this requirement, the appointment must have begun no earlier than July 1, 2011.
- Candidates must be citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. or Canada at the time of application. Persons who have applied for permanent resident status but have not received their government documentation by the time of application are not eligible.
- Candidates must be nominated by accredited, degree-granting institutions in the U.S. or Canada.
- Candidates must be committed to a full-time career in research as an independent investigator at a North American degree-granting institution.
- Candidates with tenure-track appointments as an instructor or assistant professor at the time of application are not eligible.
- Candidates that have faculty appointments with institutional start-up funds or hold an R01 grant from the NIH are not eligible.
The proposal will be prepared and submitted by Sponsored Research Services (SRS).
Proposal Limit: 5
Summary: Five-year $700,000 awards for physician-scientists to bridge advanced postdoctoral/fellowship training and the early years of faculty service. Proposals must be in the area of basic biomedical, disease-oriented, or translational research. Proposals in health services research or involving large-scale clinical trials are ineligible. Awards are made to degree-granting institutions in the U.S. or Canada on behalf of the awardee.
July 31, 2013: Deadline for an email of intent including the title of the internal proposal and a 1-3 sentence description of the project.
Send email of intent to firstname.lastname@example.org
August 7, 2013: Deadline to submit an internal proposal.
All proposals for the LSP must be submitted electronically using the e-proposal on-line application system.
Be prepared to upload your internal proposal. The sections will include a 1-3 page Research Plan Summary and 2-page Bio-sketch.
The e-proposal site is password protected. Texas A&M Principal Investigators may use their NetID and password to access the system. If you do not have a NetID, click HERE for help to activate your NetID. You will need your UIN and your date of birth.
If you have any questions, please contact: email@example.com or 979.862.2233.
August 28, 2013: Target date for the notifications to PIs of the result of the internal competition.
October 1, 2013: Sponsor deadline for the full application (due by 4 p.m. EDT)
BWF accepts applications for this program on an annual basis.
Internal Selection Procedures:
Texas A&M University has established a procedure to identify limited submission opportunities and internally select proposals for Texas A&M submissions. Please contact us if you have any questions about the limited submission process.